10.12.2004

I am really no good at this blogging thing, am I?

I keep intending to blog, but there just aren't enough hours in the day it seems. I have a bunch of "comp time" this week since I'm a non-exempt employee, so I'm not supposed to work more than 40 hours a week and with the College Conference and some church displays I was at i had more like 60 last week, so I have to take time off this week. But there's so much to do! It's nice to be home right now though. I worked a full day yesterday and only like 5 hours today. I had a couple of students come in for tours, talked to a bunch more on the phone, and Herr Bockelman brought in enough Polish Sausage & Suarkraut to feed the entire office in celebration of it being Oktoberfest. Even though it's 90+ and doesn't feel like October at all.

Let's see...the College Conference--this was totally awesome. We had about 200 students from who knows how many campus ministries at this thing, from all over AZ and even a delegation from California. And it wasn't even weird, everyone was worshipping and learning and fellowshipping together even across ministry lines. The workshops were awesome, the worship was awesome, it was just very cool. It was a lot of work, but Becca and I still got to go to some of the workshops. And just having so many people volunteer their time and skills for this was a blessing. But man, if I thought it was a lot of work preparing for a men's weekend or something like that in 5.19, this was just wayyy more complicated. But definately worth it.

Other than that, I need to move my stuff from my cubicle into my new office, that's really exciting to me to be honest. It is hard with Jeff leaving, he was the Director of Enrollment and I kinda feel this overload of information as he was teaching me in many ways how to do my job and his job. Derek is starting as an enrollment counselor next week, and that means I'm going to be training him, but really it's not like I've been there all that long either. But I am shocked at how much I have picked up and how quickly. I really love working at the seminary, it's like the best of all the experiences I've had rolled into one job/ministry. But I really miss Ohio, and I really miss all of you, and the saddest part of being so happy with my work and school experience here is that I don't get to share the joy of that with you all on a daily basis.

In about an hour and a half I need to leave for my interpretation class. For tonight I had to make a chart on Acts 4:1-6:7, I have no idea if it's done correctly or not since it seems more like a timeline to me than a chart, but who knows. Last week we had this observation assignment on the Gospel of John that the syllabus said would take an hour and a half and should be done in one sitting, it ended up taking more like 7 hours, but that was good. I must say, I am glad the assignment for tonight didn't take another 7 hours otherwise I would most definately not be blogging right now.

I guess that's all for now. Anyone who hasn't heard Mike's new songs should email him and ask for the links, he just sent them to me and they are AWESOME.

4 comments:

joelman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
joelman said...

Why can't I have a cubicle? All I'm stuck with is this shoddy office that I can lock people out of and has a fridge and it's own private sound system. Wah!

Yeah, I know what you mean about being happy in work and excited and crap and then being sad too because all of your time is sucked up into the sky... like those kids in The Forgotten. But it is rewarding and the best kind of work is when you get to enjoy it with bros and sistas in the Lord so keep on striving and charting and eating Polish Sausage. The Lord is faithful.

Unknown said...

Heheh, I've got a little fridge in my office too. But it's really small, like, smaller than the ones that came in the dorms. You can't even put full size cans of pop in there. Just those half size cans that you see at the stores sometimes.

And I also have a private sound system, if by that you mean the speaker that is built into my computer there. I think I'm going to take in some speakers tho so I can listen to music and stuff once in a while.

AND, I THOUGHT I could lock people out of my office, but when I went in yesterday some vandals had broken in and put up photographs of Saddam Hussien and Osama bin Laden on my wall (they really stand out since I have nothing else on my walls at this point). I guess it's been a gag that has been played on all the new people for the past 2 years. I am going to leave them up though for a while at least. It's just strange enough for me to want to continue it.

So I take it you are enjoying your co-op this semester, Joel? What kind of stuff are you getting to do there?
And is there some sort of blogging ettiquette as to when you should reply to someone else's comment on your blog with a comment of your own vs. emailing or making a new blog entry?

Anonymous said...

Hey, Lee:) Thanks for your comment on my blog--yeah, Zia's is pretty cool.

Sounds like your job keeps you really busy! But, it also sounds like a neat and rewarding one. ...Don't miss the fall in Ohio too much, Lee; I would rather be cold than hot, in general, but the wind is starting to pick up here, and soon it will be simply freezing! :P How cold does it get in an Arizona winter? When I was there in December, it only got down to about 40, at night. Becca and you will probably like the temperature dropping a bit, eh? Ttyl,

~Tess